Thursday, December 23, 2010

Think Bigger: looking locally

It's really easy to get caught up in our own little world, our own needs, our own wants.  I find however, that my life is so much better and I am happier when I am helping those outside my immediate circle.  So with that in mind, I will be focusing every Thursday on one charity that requests or accepts crafted items for those in need.  I'm calling it Think Bigger.

This time of year a lot of crafters are knitting hats and scarves.  You've probably given several away and still have yarn left over.  Why not make a few for a charity?  Charities all over the world love getting hand made scarves and hats. 

Many hospitals accept hats for preemies and newborns.  Give your local hospital a call and ask about guidelines and sizing for their hat program.   How about your local homeless shelter?  A beautiful new scarf and a pair of mittens would go a long way to helping someone with very little feel cared for.   Local womens shelters are always looking for donations.   Scarves, hats, mittens in all sizes would be very welcome there (and you could toss in a new crocheted toy for a child who probably had to leave most of their stuffed animals when they entered the shelter.)

If you aren't sure where to start looking for local charities Wool Works' local charity page can be a good place to begin.  I have not checked all the charities on that list, so do contact them before sending anything to the charity.  They may have guidelines they need you to follow or a new address for you to send your package to.

Have fun knitting!  I know that your knitted gift will make a big difference in the lives of a someone in need. 

1 comment: