Tuesday, November 13, 2018

Pattern Review: Love Notions Constellation Pullover

I had the privilege this last month to be able to pattern test the new Constellation pullover from Love Notions Patterns.  I don't sew for myself very often but I have been wanting to do more.  When the call for testers went out, I jumped on the opportunity.  

The Constellation is the women's version of the Navigator kids pattern.  It hits all the same style lines, with a soft, somewhat boxy shape and a half zip with huge kangaroo pocket across the front.  It's built to be layered so it's sized to be roomy, but not overly baggy.   
I made two, but only did pictures of the second one.  I chose a reversible athletic knit from JoAnn (I keep lusting over the fabric shops online but I never manage to pull the trigger.  I like touching and playing with the fabric before I buy.  Someday I'll actually do it just for the better quality fabric.)  The knit I chose barely fits the 25% stretch recommendation but it worked just fine.  The contrast color added some great style notes to the pattern.  For this one, I did the curved hem with a bound edge.  I also chose to add thumb holes in the cuffs.  Sleeves are always long on me so I left the sleeve length alone and just added the slits in the seam on the cuff so I have the length I need in the sleeve without having to add length to the cuff.  (There's a thumb hole cuff hack on the Love Notions blog.  I used the technique but not the pattern piece.  I don't like my sleeves twisting, so I also lined up the thumb hole with my actual thumb instead of the sleeve seam.  About 1/4 of the way around the sleeve from the seam works pretty well.)  




 I made both the hooded and the collared versions of the pattern.  The collar is a nice length for me and the hood is cozy and well fitted with a pieced shape.  I saw several pattern testers color blocking the hood and using that center piece to add more interest to the jacket.  There are quite a few ways to play with the look through color blocking or changing the details.  I stayed pretty conservative with this one.

Overall impression:

Fit:  loose and boxy.  The sizing is pretty accurate. and there is a full bust adjustment piece already designed if you need it. I made an XL but should have graded up at the hip.  It's still comfortable and I've been wearing it a lot since finished it.

Difficulty:  the company rates it at "confident beginner" and I'd say that's probably on target.  If the zipper scares you, there's a great video tutorial link in the pattern instructions.  For experienced sewers, it's a quick sew with mostly standard construction techniques.

Price:  $10.  Very much in line with other online, independent pattern companies. 

Will I make it again:   Yup.  Already bought the pattern to sew one for a Christmas present.  I'm also looking forward to the men's pattern that should be released before Christmas.

*Photo Credit:  Murphy Brown.  (My youngest kid.  She's awesome.)

No comments:

Post a Comment