Friday, February 4, 2011

From Sketch to Pattern: Phase three, lining construction

I like to start with the lining when I'm making a purse because it lets me see where the pattern needs tweaking.   And this one needs a little bit of tweaking.   I'll get to that in a minute.

To start, I cut out my lining.  That's the two large pieces, the bottom oval, a side pocket, and two pieces for a center zipper pocket.   As you can see I underestimated my lining amount so the zipper pocket is in a contrasting fabric.  I'm glad this happened actually because that gorgeous brocade would get all snaggy inside the pocket anyway.

First thing I do is sew on the side pocket.  Finish the top edge and lay it across one side piece of the lining.  I sewed one seam down the center, 1/4 of the way to one side, and divided that last quarter into three 1" pencil pockets. 
For the zipper pocket, install the zipper and then sew the bottom seam with right sides together.  Flip back right side out.
Place one side of the lining right side up. Then put down the zipper pocket so the bottom seam is 1/2" from the bottom edge.  Then put the second side of the lining down right side down.  Sew up the side seams leaving a turning gap along one side. 
This is where I had my first tweak.  The base pattern I made was too big for the purse.  It didn't give me that lightly gathered look I wanted, so I cut 1 1/8" off each end.    Then I lightly gathered the bottom edge of the lining and sewed the bottom in.
Here's the finished lining.  I'm having issues with the height of the bag.  I've never made one this deep before so it's bugging me.  I'm going to live with it for a couple of days and see if it grows on me.  If not, 3" is coming off the top. 

Now for the last bit of tweaking so far.  I've been very unhappy with the spring clasp selection I've been able to find online.  Everybody sells the same three clasps and they are all boring.  blah.  I have some gorgeous fabric here that does not deserve boring. 

I did run across a woman who sells buckles she got off thrift store belts.   I decided that I can go to thrift stores.  I've got some time.   I'm glad I did because I found this:
Isn't it gorgeous?  I adore it and it would be perfect on my bag.   The only draw back is my oldest daughter loves the belt and wants to use it as a belt.    The stinker. 

If I do let the girl have the belt I do have two other buckles as options:
I like the warmth of the antique brass but it's cheaply made.  The silver tone one is better quality and it looks nice but I'm not loving it as much. 

So what do you think?  Be nice to my daughter and use a second choice buckle or go with the buckle I love best?  I have to decide before I cut the straps. 

1 comment:

  1. Go with the silver. It's better made, the clasp on the original belt is silver, and it is more unique than the brass.

    ReplyDelete