Friday, October 8, 2010

Miche bag cover!


I'm so excited! I finally took the time to get a pattern worked out for my Miche purse. Isn't it cute? This is design number two actually. The first is flat wrap around cover. If you are familiar with Miche bags, you know the type I'm talking about. I liked it ok, but I'm much happier with the end covered style of cover.

There are still a few tiny issues to work out. One being the interfacing/reinforcement issue. Miche uses some kind of very stiff cardboard, so you can't wash their covers at all. I found this out the hard way and now have a corduroy cover that has to be repaired. Very sad. I loved that cover. I used needlepoint plastic canvas in this one and it's not bad. It's still not quite what I need; it's a little floppy for this use. It has to be very stiff to hold the cover tightly against the purse.

The flowers are hand sewn simple gathered fabric flowers. Just the finishing touch it needed. I bought the fabric because I loved it and didn't think about clothes it would match. I went through my closet last night and discovered three shirts that weren't plain white that do match and I have a shirt that's been in my to be finished pile for over year that's the perfect color of yellow. What a great discovery.

Next up is new black handles. It would be best if I had a black base for this cover, but I don't, so I'm going to buy some fake leather at Jo-Ann to make a new set. They will be a proper length unlike the set I have now. I may leave this cover on a lot just because I like the handles better.

19 comments:

  1. I love this! very cute!
    I'm a new follower :)

    dominiquescraftcouture.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your cover. Are you going to share your pattern?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I'm impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. very cute. you should sell the pattern and I will be 1st in line to buy

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE the way this came out! Please let us know when & if you'll share your pattern. I really like it. Thanks & take care.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The cover is stunning!! You did a great job! I would love for you to sell the pattern, possibly on Etsy?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would love to get this pattern as well! Also, have you thought of using timtex (I think that's how its spelled)? Seriously, please please please, I'd really love this pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have tried the heavy stablizer used for embroidery backing, and than doubled it up. Still a little light, but made for an okay cover.
    I was looking a using pieces of light weight plexie glass or plastic and inserting it on the sides only, and cutting it slightly smaller than the pattern size.
    Creating a pocket as such on bith sides and attaching the magnets to that, by cutting the holes into the plastic and glueing the magnets in place.

    ReplyDelete
  9. There is a lady on Etsy that sells a nice magnetic shell if you look under magnetic shell. That way you avoid the feet on the regular covers. You can also buy the covers but I just make them like a paperbook book cover. I am new here and don't know if you can post pictures but I made about 10 at a recent sewing retreat and they are adorable. I did not make the side pockets and would love to buy the pattern if it becomes available!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That cover is cute! You know, if you want new Shells you should become a rep. That way you can make money and get new Shells for free. Msg me for info if you like megankratt@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Is it magnetic? Where do you get the magnets, if it is. P.S. LOVE IT!!! Pls post pattern. P.P.S Has anyone tried to wash the actual bag (not the shell), I have the tote/prima and milk was spilt in it yesterday!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I would love to purchase both this pattern and the one your mention for the flat cover. I have a miche bag, and I would love to be able to make my own cover for it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Would love to purchase your patterns. How can I go about doing that? Judy rotzien99@comcast.net

    ReplyDelete
  14. I would also love to find out if you're selling the patterns for the Miche bag covers. quilttrail@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi there ! I am very interested in the directions & patterns for this! I am new to Miche AND sewing! (i now...rite?!?!) LOL Please email me at your earliest convenience. Your time and response is greatly appreciated :) mojocarsmom (at) gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. I really like your fabric choice. I would be very interested in your patterns also. I just got a Miche bag and love the whole idea, but some of their color/fabric choices are questionable. Thanks for taking the time to create such a needed item. Hope you share. epicprop1@gmail.com.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Did anyone share the handmade Miche bag patterns they made? I''d like to sew one...prefer the slip on since I've had their magnetic ones fall offf...so weird.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow Great job! I have bought myself, my mother and my mother-in-law bags. It would be great to use your pattern to customize to my own wardrobe. Hope to hear from you. L

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow Great job! I have bought myself, my mother and my mother-in-law bags. It would be great to use your pattern to customize to my own wardrobe. Hope to hear from you. L

    ReplyDelete