Monday, January 10, 2011

Creamy Mint Risotto

Today's recipe is adapted from Pioneer Woman and America's Test Kitchen.  I combined both their recipes with a few changes of my own.  I'm very happy how this one came out.  We adore risotto in our home even though it doesn't really fit my "dinner must cost less than $5 total" approach to cooking.  I just go really cheap on another night and remember not to serve this one too often.  It's a great treat once in a while though. 

Creamy Mint Risotto

2 c Arborio rice
2 T butter
1/2 sweet onion, like Walla Walla or Vidalia, chopped fine
5 c chicken broth 
3 T finely chopped mint leaves
1/4 c Romano cheese
1/2 c sour cream

Melt the butter over medium heat. Add onion and sprinkle with a dash of salt. Cook until onion is soft. Add rice and cook stirring until edges of rice turn translucent. Begin adding chicken broth. Start with 1 c. and stir until the broth is absorbed into the rice. Add rest of chicken broth 1/2 cup at a time, cooking until broth is absorbed between each addition. Cook until all broth is absorbed and the rice is soft and creamy. Reduce heat to low. Stir in mint and cheese then add sour cream.  Serve.
Risotto can be heavy and rich, but the mint lightens the dish as a background note. It was very good. garnished mine with a mint sprig because I've got plenty, and served it with pork chops. I think it would also be good with chicken flavored with a mild marinade.  It's great with lamb, of course, but you did see the whole $5 dinner part, right?  Lamb does not fit into a $5 dinner.  Ever.
Let me know if you try it and like it.

1 comment:

  1. I made this a couple years ago for Mother's day. It went really well with Lamb

    ReplyDelete