Friday, November 12, 2010

Better Mashed Potatoes

So the other day as I was making mashed potatoes, I looked in the fridge to grab out the sour cream and happened to notice my buttermilk. The wheels in my brain started turning and into the potatoes went the buttermilk.

They were soooooooo good! I'm not kidding. Best mashed potatoes I've ever made and I make dang good potatoes. I used the buttermilk instead of sour cream or cream or cream cheese, all my standard liquid ingredients. I was also able to use half the butter I normally use, 4 T instead of 8 T. (If you need a recipe, just Google Buttermilk mashed potatoes. I am apparently quite behind on this one and there are at least a dozen recipes out there.)

When you consider the fact that buttermilk has less than 1/4 the calories of sour cream and cream cheese and heavy cream and the fewer calories from the butter, mashed potatoes suddenly aren't so fatty anymore. So there you go. Lower calorie mashed potatoes without losing flavor. Because who actually likes mashed potatoes made with chicken broth? ew.

Buttermilk. Just keep a quart in the fridge from now on. It can sit right next to your quart of heavy cream. (or is it just me that always has a quart of heavy cream on hand?)

No comments:

Post a Comment