Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Living Room Redo: The chairs

Yeah, this is the third time I've posted that photo.  I just love my chairs.  I found them at Salvation Army for $20 for the pair.  They were an ugly, dark walnut stain that was worn and dingy.  I'm kicking myself for not getting before pictures.  The transformation is so wonderful.

The chairs were hand made by a Mr. Juan Carlos Garcia in Antigua, Guatemala.  He left that information carved into the front apron of the chair.  My favorite part of the chairs is all the gorgeous hand carving.  Don't you just love that flower and scrolling?  In the dark stain, the carving just got lost.  The color really brings attention to the details on the chairs.





This is the harp shaped back support.  More lovely flower and scroll work.   You can see a bit of the caned seat in that photo too.  The caning was hand woven and isn't an applied piece of fabric.

I don't often find fabulous buys at thrift stores, but this time I think I really scored big.  I love my chairs and I love that they are bright and happy.  Next step is either the floor rug or the paint.

No comments:

Post a Comment